With today's stressful lifestyles, it's important to have time that you take to do something just for the fun of it. While there are many great hobbies to choose from, this is a list of hobbies that are particularly useful in relieving stress. Learn about the benefits of each, and find resources to get started on a new great hobby for stress relief this week!
Gardening can be a great stress reliever for many reasons, including getting you into the sunshine and fresh air, creating more beautiful surroundings to come home to each day, and more. See this article to read about the benefits of gardening, and find resources to get started.
photography for beginners.
3. ScrapbookingWhether you have a few pictures, or boxes of them, scrapbooking can be a great hobby. It combines artistry with journaling to create a unique vehicle for displaying your memories and passing them to future generations. Typically more of a female pastime, scrapbooking offers many social opportunities (in the form of classes, gatherings, and forums), and a break from what stresses you, to create something beautiful that others can enjoy as well. Learn more about beginning scrapbooking.
maintaining a saltwater aquarium.
5. PuzzlesEngaging your mind in a puzzle can take your focus off of whats stressing you, and develop your brain power at the same time. The end result is that you get a nice break, experience some 'flow, and come back to your problems with a fresher, stronger mind, which can help you to better handle lifes stressors. Abouts Puzzle Site has some terrific puzzles for all types of puzzlers, whether you have a little time or a lot!
6. DrawingYou can get in touch with your artistic side and use drawing as a way to process emotions, distract yourself, and achieve other stress management benefits. The end result will be something beautiful and personal that you can enjoy or share. Read this for more on how drawing can relieve stress, and for resources on learning to draw.
7. PaintingPainting carries similar stress management benefits as drawing, but through a different medium. For more on relieving stress through painting, see this article on painting for beginners.
8. KnittingAside from helping you create beautiful gifts for yourself and others, knitting provides you an opportunity to relieve stress. The repetitive motion can get you into an experience of flow, or can at least provide an outlet for nervous energy. Click here for resources on learning to knit.
listening to music can probably be considered a hobby, creating music can be an even more powerful stress relieving hobby, as it can absorb your attention fully and become a vehicle for creative expression as well. Learning to play an instrument such as the piano can be a stress reliever for you as well as for those around you, as you share your creation. See this resource for online piano lessons to get started.