What you hear impacts how you feel. Noise pollution can create real stress, along with measurable negative effects. Similarly, soothing sounds can make you feel more relaxed inside. In fact, music has been used therapeutically to relieve pain, decrease stress and bring other positive benefits, with success that’s encouraging.
There are everyday ways that you can use sound and music to enhance your environment, create the mood you’d like to feel inside and promote a mood in those around you. Generally speaking, calming tempos create calmer feelings; livelier tempos can energize you when you’re feeling sluggish. Calming white noise can help mask undesirable noises in your environment, such as traffic sounds or fighting neighbors.
Here are some more ways you can use sound to reduce stress in your environment:
- Get a sound spa and play ocean waves as you meditate.
- Play dance music while you clean house.
- Play classical music while you eat.
- Choose a ringtone for your phone that you truly enjoy hearing -- and change it frequently.
- Get into the habit of playing music to passively relieve stress.