The scents in an environment can be inviting, distracting or downright repelling! We’ve all been in a place that just smells funky, and it often creates a sensation of discomfort that’s tangible. Likewise, pleasant scents can literally de-stress you.
If you’ve ever wondered if aromatherapy claims have any basis in fact, there is some research that shows certain scents can soothe, invigorate and affect our moods and stress levels. How does your home rate in this area?
The good news is, it’s easy to create a soothing feel in your home with a few aromatherapy candles, oils or other tools, and the effect is immediate. I challenge you to find a few scents you like and make them a permanent fixture in your home.
Here are some ways you can use scent to relieve stress in your home:
- If there are any foul odors, try to deeply clean them out if at all possible.
- Place at least one scented candle in each room to transform the mood easily; you can use a different scent in each room or a signature scent throughout your home.
- Put a cotton ball scented with essential oils inside your vacuum cleaner bag. When you vacuum, you'll spread a pleasing odor around the room. (Seriously, try it!)
- Use peppermint essential oils and a room diffuser to wake yourself up in the morning.
- Bathe with a few drops of lavender essential oil in your tub at night, as a soothing way to get ready for sleep.