Sometimes we feel stressed because were not achieving things that are important to us, or our focus is headed in the wrong direction. Daily stress can result from a lifestyle that isnt in line with our values, and an overall feeling of underlying tension when part of us feels were not leading the life wed hoped for. The following goal setting journaling techniques can help you to get more in touch with your goals, and actually help you achieve them, and acquire the lifestyle you dream of.
Time Required: 5 to 30 Minutes
- Ask yourself, if you had a magic wand, what would you like to see included in your future? Ignoring the ideas of how youll get there, vividly imagine your ideal life, and what would be included in it. Then take a few minutes to list, on paper or on your computer, the changes and goals that would be included in this picture. Be specific about what you want. Its okay if you want something that you seemingly have no control over, such as a mate who is perfect for you; write it!
- You may want to keep a running journal of how youre doing on your goals, as a way to pat yourself on the back for success, work through frustration of setbacks, and as a form of continued motivation. You can also make updates to your goals as they change with you. (Sometimes the pursuit of one goal will lead to growth that will lead to the realization that a different direction would be better for you.)
- Research on journaling has shown numerous benefits to journaling that includes processing feelings and brainstorming solutions. This can not only relieve stress, but also help you attain goals by providing an opportunity to work through problems, find solutions, and keep from getting stuck in unhealthy patterns.
- You may also want to keep a gratitude journal, where you write about all the things for which you are grateful each day. Popularized by Oprah, this form of journaling can help you feel more gratitude in your life as you develop the habit of noticing all the good in your life. This can decrease stress that you feel, as well as help you realize all that you have available to you already.
- You may follow the lead of many businesses and have a 1-year, a 5-year and a 10-year plan for your life. (It doesnt have to be a set-in-stone plan, but a list of wishes and goals.) Keeping in mind what you hope for in your future can help you feel less stuck in the stressful parts of your present life, and help you see more options for change as they present themselves.
- Write down all the coincidences (or, what Henriette Anne Klauser, in Write It Down, Make It Happen! refers to as Go! Incidences, referring to their momentum-building quality) that you encounter that bring you closer to your goals. Keeping track of them helps you become more aware of them when they happen, and more likely to use them to your advantage.
- Keep a dream journal chronicling each nights nocturnal adventures. You may begin to notice patterns, messages, and other important things your dreams can tell you that youd otherwise forget. (Remember, you are generally the best interpreter of the meaning in your own dreams.)
- Maintain a dream journal of a different sort: instead of recording the dreams you have when youre sleeping, record the hopes you have (or once had) for your life that seem completely out of reach or borderline ridiculous. Have fun with it, and imagine where youd be in life if you could be anywhere! This can help you get in touch with what you really want in life, and find uncover some dreams that you really can make come true.
- If youre trying to find something specific in your life, writing about it has worked for many people. For example, if youre looking for a compatible mate, writing down all the qualities you hope to find in a person, very specifically, has brought many people success. (Whether this practice aligns with the spiritual law ask and it shall be given unto you, or whether it causes you to be more likely to know it when you see it, it appears to work!)
- If youre not the regular-writing type, even writing one list once can help you to attain your goals. The process helps you to become more aware of what more you could get our of life, notice that you dont have to be stuck in any circumstances indefinitely, and more often notice opportunities that come your way, either on a conscious or unconscious level.
- Try to do this when youre not exhausted, or so stressed you want to scream, but in a serious mood; youll get more relevant results this way.
What You Need
- A pen and paper, or computer.
- A few uninterrupted minutes.
- A bit of introspection.