"I can live for two months on a good compliment."
"Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around."
Virtually everyone loves a compliment--particularly if it's sincere and true. This is part of why I'm so excited to celebrate National Compliment Day, and you should be, too! Compliments are like any other gift--they bring joy to the giver and the receiver. But, obviously, they are also a great way to spread the love. Here's some more about the main reasons to celebrate and let the compliments fly:
- Your loved ones will be happier: Most people really like knowing that people notice or appreciate the good things about them, whether it's what they're wearing or the strengths they possess. And when those around you are feeling loved and appreciated, they tend to make you feel more loved and appreciated, too!
- YOU will be happier: We've all heard people say it's better to give than to receive, but it turns out there's now science to back this up. And when what you're giving is a compliment, even if its a small one, you can usually see a smile immediately. And this altruism benefits you both physically and psychologically! (Read more on the benefits of altruism for more on these good feelings you can both get.)
- You'll start a chain reaction of positivity: When you spread kindness and joy to others, they tend to pay it forward. With compliments, this is easy--they cost nothing, and tend to flow more easily when we get a lift in mood, like what we experience from a nice compliment! In this way, one compliment can become two or three--or more.
- Let people you love know what you love about them. This could involve making phone calls and really letting people know what you love most about them.
- Notice things that you like or appreciate about people, and make your appreciation known. Let your friend know you love her dress. Tell your spouse that you appreciate what she does for you.
- Appreciate strangers as well. Tip that barista a little extra. Tell the checker you appreciate their smile. Look at what's great about everyone you see, and let them know what you see.
Here are some more resources to appreciate the people in your life, bask in gratitude, and enjoy the positivity associated with a good compliment:
- The Importance of Compliments in Your Marriage
- How Do I Give Compliments?
- How Do You Accept a Compliment?
- How to Be More Likeable at Work
Who might you compliment today?
Quizzes | Ongoing Resources